Clinician adoption is essential to system usability, optimization success, change management, informatics programs and progression across the HIMSS stages of EHR use. Focusing on adoption creates an opportunity to educate clinicians on benefits from technology, influence patient satisfaction and drive improved clinical and financial outcomes.
Having successful clinicians who are educated on the tools and given the operational support to improve system features, functions and personalization will drive enhancements and allow them to be the best stakeholders in the organization.
Below are select steps to follow when growing clinician adoption:
- Governance Alignment (MEC, P/T, Clinician Champions, CMIO, CMO, CNO, etc.)
- Functional SME workgroups empowered to influence personalization
- Support responsiveness and local feet on the floor
- Balance of voice recognition, SmartTool and Notewriter use
- Tablet deployment in select practices and in the ED
- Upgrade usability testing
- Evidence-based content deployment
- Consistency of content across continuum (IP, AMB, LTC, Home Health)
Having a strong marriage of clinical user stakeholders with your operations brings success to clinical improvement initiatives such as MU, Value Based Purchasing, CMS demonstrations, PQRS, and many additional programs.