Epic’s 2017 and 2018 releases have included significant opportunities for improving access to clinical services, streamlining workflows, and increasing patient satisfaction. Every upgrade presents the opportunity to evaluate current processes, policies, and procedures, and to incorporate performance improvement initiatives as part of the general upgrade activities. However, every organization is faced with resource limitations and conflicting priorities making it difficult to leverage all of the new functionality. As such, I wanted to share our recent upgrade experience to highlight the major patient access specific ROI opportunities from the most recent Epic releases.
- On My Way Scheduling provides major patient satisfaction benefits. On My Way improves the timely access to services, reduces call volumes, and facilitates the expansion of telehealth services for particular services.
- Appointment Requests, Decision Trees & Auto Scheduler optimize several scheduling and intake workflows which are a particular benefit for organizations that use centralized schedulers or central patient access call centers. Decision Trees improve the speed at which schedulers identify the appropriate providers, resources and visit types for complex specialties. Auto Scheduler simplifies the scheduling of multiple appointments across an organization, minimizing patient wait times and optimizing resource utilization.
- Provider Utilization Health Report is an effective tool for analyzing scheduling utilization and to identify opportunities to adjust scheduling templates to improve provider utilization and patient satisfaction.
- Referral Entry Sidebar displays important referral information, including referred by, referred to, diagnosis and procedure information from the encounter where the referral was generated and ordered, so clinicians don’t need to disrupt workflow to search relevant information from other forms.
- The integration of Security Points across Cadence and clinical applications can cause disruption to scheduling and patient flow. A technical review of item based security points within Cadence, and evaluating assigned user classes can eliminate many of the technical setup challenges impacting access.
- How Much are You Collecting Up Front and Dear Patient, from Financial Assistance are effective tools for managing the increasing patient responsibility.